the split tone pad
Thank you for your interest in my signature Split Tone Pad by Meinl. You have taken a big step toward better practice. Before you begin working out on this pad, I would like to point out its special features I devised alongside Meinl and how they develop your ears for enhanced accuracy and creativity around the kit.
You will also find a few hand exercises I wrote that demonstrate how the pad’s different surfaces instantly transform the way you hear your notes to dive deeper into analyzing your control.
Have fun with it!
WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT
The Split Tone Pad consists of three distinct surfaces that offer different feels and volume levels, along with a reduced rebound section on the back. It is designed to train more than a simple rudiment. With the Split Tone Pad, you can creatively mold your own systematic approach to advance your consistency, accuracy in unisons, hand independence and muscle strength. The power of this pad is in its ability to train your ears and mind for a better understanding of rhythms.
1. The primary pad (middle) has a regular tone and feel. Here, you can practice your hand exercises normally
2. The secondary pads (red dots) have a higher tone compared to the primary pad. Switching between using only your left or right hand in these areas with the opposite hand in the middle splits your hands into two different sounds, which enables you to hear familiar rhythms from a different perspective.
3. The soft oval shape near the top is the muted section. By playing your full patterns on the primary pad and moving one hand at a time to this section, you hear the opposite hand very strong and loud while the hand playing the muted area becomes silent. This allows you to focus your attention strongly on one hand to pinpoint and smooth out any weakness.
4. The workout pad on the back has a special surface with less rebound to warm up your muscles quickly and gain power. This side also doubles as a non-slip layer when playing the pad on flat surfaces.
ESTABLISH A SYSTEM FOR MORE ATTENTIVE PRACTICE
I put together two exercises that highlight how this pad can be used to develop your own practice system.
- Use the secondary pad (red dot) with your right hand and the primary pad (middle) with your left hand while playing the exercises the soft muted area with your right hand and the primary pad (middle) with your left hand
- Now try the exercises with your hands in the opposite positions
- Play with both hands on the primary pad (middle)